alice-teacher Problem with Alice 2 create function capability

robert durtschi robert.durtschi at gcsu.edu
Fri May 20 06:24:16 EDT 2016

Apparently when using Alice 2.4.2 to create a new function, one is not allowed to return anything except a number nor change the pre-coded return 1 to return <number variable> nor use and of the constructs at the bottom of the edit window, if/else, loop, while, etc., nor drag a non-numeric variable down into the edit window

In other words, the create new function button is broken.

What i am trying to do is set up an Alice 2 world to replace the pseudo code currently being used in the CIS 120 "Intro to computers" class at the local college.  I think it would be a lot more helpful of the student's understanding of they could actually see the results of the code they write.
Scenario: A robot is sitting in a chair with its arms down. Write an algorithm, using pseudo-code, to make the robot:

  *   stand up
  *   walk until it senses a wall
  *   turn around
  *   walk back to the chair
  *   sit back down in the origin starting position
Finally, output the total number of steps taken.
Commands:
In addition to our standard pseudo code commands, you must also use the following robot control commands:

  *   sit
  *   stand
  *   step (one step forward)
  *   raise arms (parallel to floor)
  *   lower arms (pointing to floor)
  *   sense (only if arms are raised) returns a Boolean value. TRUE if at the wall.
  *   turn (90 degrees right)

I have easily implemented all of the commands "bunny sit", bunny stand", "bunny step", etc. but ran into a major SNAFU when I tried to implement the "sense" command. I could just have them use a primitive function: "bunny is within threshold of object but I wanted to preserve the existing set of commands as much as possible.

It would be real helpful if the Alice maintenance team could fix Alice 2 create function capability and add the ability to return a Boolean variable.