alice-teacher Different styles using Alice

Leonel Morales litomd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 18:27:24 EST 2015

Hi,

Today I went to a school to do a workshop with a group of 20 middle
school students using Alice.

As usual at some point they lost attention in my explanations and
started experimenting and creating on their own (I enjoy that part).

Afterwards I reflected on what I saw and found that kids liked to do
one of the following:

-Design a scene: kids in this group liked to bring lots of characters
and objects to the scene without worrying much about making them do
something. The new starters available in v.3.2 are great for them.

-Dialogues: put a couple of characters in the scene with some objects
and make them talk and perform some limited action. A couple of girls
made this type of stories putting dolphins with a cake in the ocean
and pretend they were celebrating a birthday party, and they laughed a
lot watching the scene and making the dolphins say something.

-Complex movements: these kids used simple scenes with one or two
characters and worked hard to make them perform complex movements even
using the joints.

-Instruction follow: kids wanting to make an animation that looked
exactly like the one being projected.

I will have a second session with them on Friday and plan to propose
them challenges addressing each of these "modes".

Thanks!

Leonel