alice-teacher Does Alice3 support team concurrent development?

Donald Slater djslater107 at mac.com
Wed Dec 2 08:39:33 EST 2015

This is not a feature that is currently possible within Alice 3, although it is a feature that we hope to implement in the future. The closest you could come to something like this in Alice 3 would be to have students work on different classes (for example, different characters in a story), and import those different classes into the story world.

An example of this would be a world in which there are several hidden objects, and then students would create characters with a explore the world algorithm, searching for hidden objects. Then those different characters could be imported into one world and students could see which object found the target objects first.

Or students create characters that can dance, and the characters are imported into a dance floor world.

I believe that it may be possible to accomplish what you are describing in the NetBeans / Java side of Alice. But we have not tested this extensively. If you would like to work with us to see if we can make this work, please contact me directly at dslater at cmu.edu. And I will be happy to work with you, as this is a feature I am interested in.

Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University
Entertainment Technology Center
700 Technology Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Email: dslater at cmu.edu

I have learned this at least by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
--- Henry David Thoreau

The true object of all human life is play. -- G.K. Chesterton