alice-teacher Mailing List archives

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 27 15:27:58 EDT 2015

Contact Dr Steve Cooper at coopers at cs.stanford.edu, who will be able to provide login / password information for http://www.aliceprogramming.net. This site contains a number of instructional materials including syllabi, sample exams and test banks, projects, exercises and their solutions.

It is password protected to try reduce access to the solutions to students. Dr Cooper will ask that you verify that are a teacher by providing a school email address or a link to a school website with your information.

We would be very interested to hear more about your comment that Alice 3.0 confuses students when preparing students for the AP Computer Science exam. I am guessing that you are not preparing Middle School students for the AP Exam.

At this time, Alice Level 2 may be a better choice for Middle School students as it is designed to introduce programming fundamentals to students and does not specifically refer to any professional development language, such as Java. Their is also a larger set of instructional materials available for Alice 2, although Alice 3 is catching up.

Alice 3 is designed to introduce fundamental programming concepts to students, in courses in which students will be starting to learn the Java programming language. Because of the number of topics covered in the APCS Exam, I can understand that to start with Alice and cover the entire AP curriculum in one year may be a bit much.

But we would love to hear of other’s experience with Alice 3 as they prepare students for the AP.

Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University
Entertainment Technology Center
700 Technology Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Email: dslater at cmu.edu

I have learned this at least by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
--- Henry David Thoreau

The true object of all human life is play. -- G.K. Chesterton