alice-teacher Standards Help Needed

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Sep 19 08:35:11 EDT 2014

For some of you, the .pdf document I attached was stripped from the message…

Here is an alternative link to the document…

	https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2332970/Alice%20Curriculum%20Mapping-Overview.pdf

Let me know if you continue to have problems accessing this document…

Hello all,
I have attached a .pdf document that contains two components.

1.   Curriculum Map (In table format, alphabetized by column 1)

The table maps columns 1 and 2 (typical Alice curriculum topics and example programming exercises) to columns 3, 4, 5, and 6 (well-known curricula & pedagogy).  The CSTA and Code.org curricula are listed in a single column because the Code.org curriculum encompasses, more or less, the CSTA curriculum.  Please note that topics listed column 1 are ALPHABETICALLY ordered, NOT necessarily in the order in which the topics would be presented in the classroom.

2.  Typical Alice 2 Course Outline

The outline is color-tagged – major topic is in blue, subtopics in green, and curriculum concepts in red. Please note that topics in this course outline are, more or less, in the order in which the topics might be presented in the classroom. We realize that some variation in topics is common and that some topics are covered to varying depths, depending on the objectives of the course and the grade level of the students.

This is a working document, we hope that it is helpful, and we certainly are open to suggestions as you review it.

If someone needs an editable version of this document, please let us know.

Wishing you all the best,

Don Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Email: don at alice.org

I have learned this at least by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
--- Henry David Thoreau

The true object of all human life is play. -- G.K. Chesterton