alice-teacher Alice 3 in Action With Java - Text

Anthony Tartaglia tar914 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 3 23:27:13 EDT 2014

On 9/3/2014 4:55 AM, Mr Grzybowski wrote:
> This book looks interesting to me as a text for my high school Introduction to Computer Science course. Has anyone read or used this book to teach from? Thanks.......Joe G

The text Learning Java through Alice is a fine choice. I've used Alice
2.x for the past two years in an Introductory Java course and the kids
found it short on challenge.  Migrating to Java through NetBeans and
Alice 3.1 should be more effective.  But you may find less material than
you need for a full year course.  I spend the second trimester working
through five chapters of the text "Java a Gentle Approach" to teach the
kids to build solid java classes with data fields, event driven methods
and event handlers.  In the third trimester we did GameMaker which is a
combination of Drag and Drop coding like in Alice and a java like coding
script. The kids loved the game programming projects.

Tony Tartaglia
Fordham Prep
Bronx, NY