alice-teacher A2/A3 Textbooks

Gilbert Stankiewicz gilbert at cpcs.us
Tue Mar 4 08:09:05 EST 2014

LaShonda,

I'm just getting started with the text "Learning Java Through Alice" by
Tebring Daly and Eileen Wrigley, ISBN 9781491073933.  Using the NetBeans
Alive plugin, students can import programs created in Alice 3.1 into the
NetBeans IDE.  They can then examine and modify the code directly in
NetBeans.  The text guides the student through the process while also
introducing Java programming.

This is the only text I found that combines Alice 3.1 programming with
Java. I am quite excited about the possibilities this provides for the
small class of high school seniors in the course.

Gilbert

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 9:02 PM, LaShonda Torbert <
LTorbert at stoneridgeschool.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if anyone uses a textbook with Alice. If you do, what
> are your recommendations for a textbook? If you don¹t use a textbook, are
> there other resources that you use?
>
> I will be teaching a class for the first time, and I¹m just curious about
> what other teachers do for Alice at the high school level. I had a class
> that used Alice in college that didn¹t use a textbook, and we were fine
> with just the teacher¹s notes.
>
> Thanks,
> LaShonda
>
> LaShonda Torbert
> Upper School Science Department-Physics Teacher
> 301.657.4322 ext 660
> Ltorbert at stoneridgeschool.org
>

> On 3/3/14, 3:15 PM, "Don Slater" <dslater at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
> >It might be helpful to the community when posting, to put (A2) for Alice
> >2, or (A3) for Alice 3 subjects. This will clarify the context of the
> >question, and probably generally helpful.
> >
> >And of course, if it is a general question, please feel free to ignore
> >the request ;-)
> >
> >Thank you,
> >Don Slater

Gilbert Stankiewicz