alice-teacher just need to vent.

Susan Smith Susan.Smith at craven.k12.nc.us
Tue Jun 3 15:09:15 EDT 2014

Wanda,

Thank you for doing that.  Just last month I was finally given a green light by the administration to start a computer club at New Bern (NC) HS to teach interested students Alice and to pair them with teachers to create dynamic instructional Alice worlds for everything from the curriculum for our trainable mentally disabled students to honors and AP courses.

I had some push back from the Multimedia and Web Design II teacher who's nervous that by the club members learning to program with Alice, their knowledge will compete with her brief introduction to Alice in her curriculum. Nevertheless, we're going through with the partnership with any teachers who want to stimulate their students through Alice worlds.

Please keep sending such useful info to share with my computer club and faculty members.
Susan Smith

Career & Technical Ed. teacher

New Bern High School
(252) 514-6400 ext 3235
susan.smith at craven.k12.nc.us

"If you are a good leader, when your work is done, your aim fulfilled, your people will say, "We did this ourselves."  Abraham Lincoln
>>> Wanda Dann <wpdann at andrew.cmu.edu> 6/3/2014 12:09 PM >>>
Eric,

Attached are a couple of documents that may be of some help to you.
Most of these documents were used/prepared for a presentation we
made to the Chicago Public School System, where they are adopting Alice
system-wide.

I replied to the entire list with these attachments because I figured
Eric may
not be alone in having to justify CS and Alice.

My apologies for adding to your inbox.

Wanda