alice-teacher Merging Worlds

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 25 07:47:20 EDT 2013

This can be done with a combination of different camera positions, camera markers, and object markers.

(1) Start your scene with the water template (on top of the water), position the camera for this scene, and mark it  using a camera marker
- Camera markers and object markers can be found in the scene editor by clicking on "More controls"
- When the camera is positioned, click on "Drop dummy at camera" button
- A Dummy folder will be created in the object tree, and inside it you will find the marker object, called "dummy". Rename this to an appropriate identifier
- You can also create object markers the same way to position objects at desired locations in a scene

(2) Move your camera down some distance (5 meters?) for the location of the second scene
- mark the camera position here
- you can build your scene by adding your objects
- When you add objects to the scene, they will appear on the water surface. They will each have to be moved down the approbate distance to set up the underwater scene

(3) When writing the code for this project, you will move camera's (and objects) to their respective positions using the "set point of view to…" command

(4) Advise you student to save the project often. It is very easy when building worlds of multiple scenes to overload it with objects, which can sometimes cause problems. When saving the world, save it using a versioning system (proj1, proj_2, proj_3, etc). If Alice gets balky at the latest version, it is easy to go back to an earlier version.

I have actually already created a similar project. You may not want to show it to him, but it would illustrate the techniques I am trying to describe. I have attached the project.