alice-teacher Red screen while running 3.1 universal installer for windows and the inability to see all of the objects to select from in the world window

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 11 08:54:42 EDT 2013

Ken,
See below…

On Sep 10, 2013, at 11:08 PM, K Mac <kmc610 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> If these two issues have been addressed previously, forgive me for not having seen it, but:
>
> 1.  When I recently tried to do a lesson of the Amazon full pre-built scene from the website, the world window shows up red on our machines at our school.  Hitting "run," the red goes away and the amazon shows up as it does on my computer at home.  Ever heard of this issue?

We have recently seen this in some other contexts and we are now looking into the cause… We will keep you posted...

> 2.  in the world window, along the left hand side is a list of objects in the world.  If the list is long, you can see the object you're selecting.  Basically we want to access the object's procedures to further position and orient the object before we write anything in the code area.

The starter worlds will eventually become part of the Alice 3 download, but we have not yet included them for the very reason that you have identified. We are looking at ways that the object tree in the Scene Editor can collapse or reorganize all of these objects so that the programmer can find and work with the objects that they are really interested in. And anyone who builds a rich, interesting scene is going to run into thous problem. Using the instance menu in the Scene Editor does present work-around.

Look at the screen shots contained in the attached .zip file.

Image_1 identifies the issue. I am using the AmazonFull starter world, and have added my characters the Curupira and the Mapinguari. But when we look at the object tree in the scene view, we cannot see our characters, as all the scene props are at the top of the list, and there is presently no way to navigate this list, to select one of the two characters.

There are two work-arounds.

(1) right-click on the object and select the procedures item from the option menu that appears (Image_2)

(2) select the object from the instance menu in the properties panel of the scene editor (image_3), and select procedures from the "one-shots" menu (image_4) or set the property values in the panel (image_5).

Let me know if I have misunderstood your question, or if you have other questions.