alice-teacher Alice 2.3 Vs Alice 3.1

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jun 19 21:58:48 EDT 2013

Depends on the purpose of your course… If you expect your students to be writing actual Java code at the end of the course, than Alice 3.1 is probably the better choice. You will be able to use the Learning to Program with Alice text, but you will need to create new versions of the example worlds and exercises that you want to use, as the gallery in Alice 3 is completely different than the gallery in Alice 2. You will also need to use the curricular resources that we will be making available to support the transition to writing Java code.

Alice 3.1 is NOT a replacement for Alice 2.x at this time. It is a tool designed for a different type of course than Alice 2.x. If your course is a general introduction to basic programming fundamentals and constructs, and the students will not be writing code in a "production" programming language such as Java, than Alice 2.x is probably the better choice at this time. It has many more curricular materials, including those available at http://www.aliceprogramming.net. (The materials at this site are designed for use with Alice 2.)

Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Office phone: (412) 268-4370
Email: don at alice.org

I have learned this at least by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
--- Henry David Thoreau

The true object of all human life is play. -- G.K. Chesterton