alice-teacher java compiler

Michael Bauer mbauer at hawaii.edu
Wed Jan 16 14:49:21 EST 2013

The Java compiler is free.  Download JDK from Java SE on Oracle's website.
The Java compiler is in JDK.  You can compile (javac) your source code to
produce Java bytecode.  Then, interpret (java) your bytecode to run the
program.  This is done from the command prompt.  If your source code file
is named Sample,java:

javac Sample.java at the command prompt compiles the program producing a
file named Sample.class.

java Sample at the command prompt interprets the bytecode.  Note: "Sample"
must be spelled in exactly the same case as it appears in the class heading
in your source code.

If you are asking for an IDE, in addition to those already recommended
JGrasp is one that my students like to use.  It is free and can be
downloaded from JGrasp.org.
Mike