alice-teacher Problem with INT function??

Deane Fistick deane.fistick at ecotoh.org
Sun Aug 11 12:23:05 EDT 2013

Hi Don,

I recently downloaded Alice 2.3.5 preparing for the coming school year. I was pleased to see that the INT function (in advanced math) is now a number rather than a string.

However I had some trouble getting it to work properly. I was teaching the kids how to check to make sure the user had entered a whole number when asked.

If NumberEntered = Int(NumberEntered) should be true if a whole number is entered - but that doesn't seem to work.

I did figure out a "work around" by rearranging the equation.

If NumberEntered - Int(NumberEntered) = 0 seems to work OK.

Although we have a "work around", the first If statement is the most straight forward, logical approach, and I would like to use it if possible.

Do you know of any reason why the first If statement shouldn't work?

I've attached a copy of the relevant part of my lesson, which includes more detail and pictures that may help.

Thanks,
Deane Fistick
ECOT (Electronic Classroom Of Tomorrow)