alice-teacher Question about Point of View

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Sep 30 12:13:08 EDT 2012

It is true that their are two explicit components to an object, location and orientation. There is an implicit component as well, distance from camera, that allows a model to be viewed in perspective. As a model is moved closer to, or away from the camera, in a 3D environment, we would expect that object to appear to "grow" or to "shrink". This last value (which is 1 in your example) is used to help with the transformation of the 3D matrix which is used to internally represent the object.

I hope this helps. If you want a more in-depth explanation, look for "transformation of matrices in 3D graphics".

Hope this helps, and my thanks to Wanda Dann in helping me put together this explanation.

Later,
Don Salter