alice-teacher Chapter 5 Zeus Exercise (in Dann, Cooper, Pausch) not working

Lance Allen lanceallen.allen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 19:15:26 EST 2012

I need to teach this unit in two weeks, will a released version of Alice be
available then?

I'm not sure that I wish to download experimental versions of Alice. You
know how the IT guys are about installing BETA versions of software.
Thank you,

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Don Slater <dslater at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> The December version had a parameter passing bug. The bug has been fixed
> in our current version, but we are not quite ready to release the version
> yet. You can still download and try the experimental version as most of the
> previous features will still work. All additional feature like the Spanish
> translation or the update menu is still work-in-progress. Download at
> http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/aik_min/. Let me know if you find any
> other bugs.
>
> Sorry,
> Don Slater
>
> On Mar 1, 2012, at 11:50 AM, Rigole, Neil wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> > I have a group of student using Alice v2.2 (12/01/11) along with the
> Learning To Program with Alice textbook. For Chapter 5, the “Zeus” exercise
> worked through in the chapter, we’re getting a “target value must not be
> null” when running the code. We’re using when the mouse is clicked on
> anything event, and it seems that our “target” object parameter is not
> being recognized in our “prepareToShoot” method. Any clues or advice? This
> worked for me in the past with the older version of Alice and the same
> code, but not now.
> >
> > Neil
> >
> > Neil J. Rigole, Ph.D.
> > Director of Distance Education
> > Assistant Professor, School of Information Technology
> > Academic Affairs - Room A-119
> > 478-471-5760
> > Professional Sciences & Conference Center - Room 310
> > 478-757-3661
> > Macon State College
> > 100 College Station Drive
> > Macon, GA 31206
> >
> > neil.rigole at maconstate.edu

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number
of electrons were terribly inconvenienced!

*Please consider the environment before printing this email.*