alice-teacher Do we need to be moderated?

nancy hoorn njhoorn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 14:31:34 EDT 2012

Not sure why this being a moderated group bothers anyone, but I appreciate
the fact that don is usually ready to provide correct information, and
answer questions. I posted a suggested a while back, knowing that if my
idea was a bad one, it would not be posted!

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Gamez, Enrique A (172B) <
enrique.a.gamez at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

>  Alice list moderators,
>
>  From what I can see, most people on the Alice list seem to be
> professional educators – I being the exception.  Why then do you feel this
> list needs to be "moderated" (I.e. policed)?  How often does an
> innapropriate post come along from this esteemed group?  In my view, the
> decision to moderate is  unnecessary, adds additional work for someone, and
> removes the immediacy of what communication means today among the likes of
> chat and Twitter, etc.  Please reconsider this decision.  If the decision
> to go moderated is based on having an .edu host, perhaps the list can be
> moved to Yahoo Groups or another free hosting option, or the institution
> can append some kind of disclaimer at the end of posts.  With Yahoo Groups,
> you can still control who joins the list and whether or not it deserves
> this level of review.
>
>  [Of course, if you all never hear from me again you'll know what
> happened!  <wink>]
> -enrique

Nancy J Hoorn
Online math expert