alice-teacher Alice 2 or 3?

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 23 07:55:03 EDT 2012

There are a wide variety of textbooks available for Alice 2.2, many referenced on our web page at www.alice.org. This page is somewhat outdated and is undergoing revision.

	http://www.alice.org/index.php?page=documentation

I have to admit to a bias to "Learning to Program with Alice" by Dann, Cooper , and Pausch, as these are members of the Alice Team and my colleagues. This book was developed along with the software. But its approach may not suit your classroom goals and so carefully consider each of the available texts.

Teaching materials:
The materials at http://www.aliceprogramming.net were developed to accompany the "Learning to Program with Alice" text referenced above. However, their development was funded by the National Science Foundation, and are available to any educators, regardless of whether they use the Dann, Cooper, Pausch text or not. I know they are successfully used with other texts, and in classrooms without texts.

They are password protected to preserve the integrity of the solutions so that teachers may use the exercises and exams, with some confidence that students will not have access to these answers and solutions. And at this time they are restricted to instructors in formal school settings. We are trying to figure out how to make them available to home-school and informal educational settings, You may apply for the login and password by contacting Steve Cooper <coopers at stanford.edu> at Stanford University.

At his request, we will not be publishing the login / password information on this listserv, as he is tracking access and use of the website.

Another site that you may wish to check out that would be helpful would be

	http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/alice/aliceInSchools/

Maintained by Professor Susan Roger at Duke University, this site has many great resources in the use of Alice in K-12... You will find a lot of examples, tutorials and projects here that you may find helpful. This is not a password protected site, however.

The members of this community have already proven to be very helpful in describing how they use Alice in their particular environments. In the interest of protecting all of our already overcrowded inboxes, however, please send your individual requests for access to materials from other teachers directly to the source, instead of a general request to the entire list.

I hope that this is helpful, and please let me know if you have any other questions.