alice-teacher Alice 2 or 3?

Lance Allen lanceallen.allen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 01:47:32 EDT 2012

Laurie,
I use Alice v2.2 for my 9th graders at Beth Tfiloh. I do this because the
majoriity of the students have never been exposed to 'programming'. I use
v2.2 to teach/demonstrate sound practices in structure, style, fundamental
syntax, debugging, and problem solving skills. I have had great success
with v2.2 and 97% of the students continue with Computer Science into the
10th grade Advanced Placement (AP) course.

Alice v3.0 is a great program. I have been playing with it for almost 2
years now as it was being developed. I personally like that you can begin
an animation using Alice and mid-way into the program you can export
everything to Java. (Although it is a one-way street - you can not convert
your Java back into Alice.) The reason I am not currently contemplating
incorporating it into the curriculumn is because I do not believe my 9s
would be successful with it and I do not have time to include Java Swing
syntax in their lessons.

I hope this helps and have a G-R-E-A-T school year.
Lance Allen