alice-teacher ideas needed

Catherine Aceto cat.aceto at gmail.com
Tue May 10 11:59:15 EDT 2011

I would use the Storytelling Alice version for the activity, both because of
the age of the students, and because it has more already-programmed methods
for the objects, so that the students can immediately make more complex
worlds.  Download it from the same Alice.org site as the other Alice
variations.

This Duke University website has links to many good tutorials developed
there for different aspects of Alice. http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/alice/ This
presentation for high school girls might be particular good for your
purposes (although I think it came from a 75 minute class)
http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/alice/duke07wahl/

I just finished teaching a 10 week (1 hr per week) course to homeschooled
students ranging in age from 6 to 15 using Storytelling Alice, and my
experience was that the program lends itself well to experimentation and
"learning by doing" in general - so I'd think that any materials that you
can find that explain the basics and gives time for them to work on creating
their own worlds would lead to an enjoyable experience for the students.

-Cat