alice-teacher installation on new 64 bit server

Terry Sacket tsacket at alcaweb.org
Mon Mar 7 22:58:19 EST 2011

Ella,

My lab this summer is about to be upgraded to 64 bit for we need to run
CS5 that requires it.  You question suggests this might be a mixed bag
when running Alice which I use in Com Sci II.  Is it a problem to upgrade
computers to 64 bit?

Thanks

Terry

Alice educators <alice-teachers at lists.andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>We have updated my lab -- new 64 bit server has virtualized the room so
>the stand alone pcs are gone.  The problem with Alice is that it is
>fuzzy.  When we installed the updated one (listed previously on this
>list-serv) the objects disappeared.  When a student added, for example,
>a soccer ball and moved it toward the back (rear) of the screen, it
>disappeared.

There are three principal means of acquiring knowledge available to us:
observation of nature, reflection, and experimentation. Observation
collects facts; reflection combines them; experimentation verifies the
result of that combination. Our observation of nature must be diligent,
our reflection profound, and our experiments exact. We rarely see these
three means combined; and for this reason, creative geniuses are not
common. - Denis Diderot (1713-84), French philosopher.