alice-teacher Application not configured correctly

RYAN NUTT RYAN.NUTT at cfisd.net
Wed Jan 26 08:52:45 EST 2011

We have a class set of the Dann, Cooper, Pausch textbook for each of our CS labs but rarely use them.  We did one lab out of them a couple years ago and while it was a good lab, the process of working from a book didn't work well for our kids.  Now they're just mostly used for kids that want to do something extra to go and figure out how to do it.

Our typical assignments are lab sheets that we put out on the server.  A few started as a lab from the book, although we modify a bit.  But most are labs that we built.  For whatever reason our kids seem to do a better job when there's not a textbook involved. I guess working out of a book seems too much like class where working off of an online file is more fun.

Ryan

>>> Mary Barnes <1320barnes at gmail.com> 1/26/2011 7:25 AM >>>
Hi:
I'm beginning to teach Alice 2.2 to juniors and seniors this week. It's loaded and working well except for on 2 computers. I've reloaded 3 or 4 times a couple of different ways ( from our server and again from the website download directly). IT will launch if I go to the 'If Alice Fails Try This' but can I use that as a long term solution for these 2 computers? We are running XP. I've posted this to the forum and didn't get much response other than making the desktop shortcut point to the 'If Alice Fails" executable, which I guess I can do but I didn't think I should do that regularly.

Also, I have one textbook but couldn't afford to buy any for my students. Any of you teaching without the textbook?

Thanks,
Mary Barnes
Portersville Christian School
m.barnes at portersvillechristianschool.org