alice-teacher Alice workshop with Spanish language instructional materials

Don Slater djslater107 at me.com
Tue Dec 6 17:53:57 EST 2011

The Alice Project is investigating the possibility of holding an Alice 2.2 workshop next summer at Carnegie Mellon University. The workshop will be presented primarily in English, though the primary presenter speaks fluent Spanish and will be able to clarify concepts and answer questions in both Spanish and English.  Workshop attendees will receive two copies of the latest version of Alice 2.2, one in English and one in Spanish. All instructional materials used in the workshop will have an English and a Spanish version.

We believe this workshop would be of particular interest to teachers who:

	1) Teach computing in secondary schools and first-year colleges in the US where a sizable percentage of the students speak Spanish or the school is bilingual.
	2) Teach computing in secondary schools and first-year colleges in Latin America.
	3) Teach English as a Second Language, where the student's natural language is Spanish, and the teacher is interested in using Alice as a way to learn English.
	4) Teach Spanish, where the student's natural language is English, and the teacher is interested in using Alice as a way to learn Spanish.

If you would be interested in attending such a workshop, which we project to cost $350 plus housing and meals for participants, please send a note directly to me at

	Don Slater: dslater at cmu.edu

Please note that at this time we are attempting to determine interest in such a workshop. This is not yet a registration for this workshop.

Please do not reply directly to this mailing list.

Thank you,

Donald Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Office phone: (412) 268-4370

I have learned this at least by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
--- Henry David Thoreau