alice-teacher About this list

Don Slater dslater at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Apr 3 19:36:43 EDT 2011

 I believe that there is some confusion about this list, and what this list is about.

The purpose of this list is to be a vehicle for those members of the Alice community who are teaching with Alice in some form, whether it be formally in educational institutions, in home-school settings, in after school programs and youth clubs, may communicate with each other, asking and answering questions, sharing ideas and insights, and pointing to useful resources.

The Alice Project members wish to partner with you, support you, but also learn from you. We will make announcements here, share tips and techniques here, point to useful resources. But that is not the primary purpose of this list. In fact, when a question is asked by one of you, I will often hold back and wait to see the answers that you have, because you often have insights and solutions that maybe better that what I would suggest.

Let me also say that membership to this list does not automatically give you access to Alice instructional materials at http://www.aliceprogramming.net. That web site is maintained by Dr. Stephen Cooper at Stanford University. The instructional materials at that site are right now reserved for members of the Alice community who can document that they are teaching in formal educational institutions. Those materials contain projects, assignments, and test questions, solutions and answer keys that are kept behind a login / password, so that instructors using those materials have a reasonable degree of confidence that their students do not have ready access to these answers and solutions.

If you wish access to these materials, you should contact Dr. Cooper at coopers at cs.stanford.edu.

Dr. Susan Rodger at Duke University maintains a web site

	http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/alice/aliceInSchools/

that is a rich collection of examples, lessons, and tutorials which I believe is of great use to the Alice Community. There is no login / password for this site. I do not believe that there are any exams, and I do not believe that there are solutions to textbook examples here.

I have also discussed our work in trying to set up a repository of Alice resources, and I believe that as part of that repository we need a section of evaluative materials for those members of the community who are using Alice in less formal settings.

Donald Slater
Alice Team
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Office phone: (412) 268-4370

I have learned this at least by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
--- Henry David Thoreau