alice-teacher Repository of teaching/student material.

Chris Swinney swin at fab-sas.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 12:45:13 EST 2010

Indeed, I think that it is a good idea to have a repository area that is only open to teaching personnel. I realise that there is already a forum on the Alice.org site, however, the registration process is relatively open. In order to join this list you at least need to show that you are indeed a teacher of some description, and this information is vetted by a human. It would be a relatively simple task (should the forum software allow for it) to shift this process to a private forum within the main forums.

One of the biggest issue we may have here is that to build a repository of information requires users to be able to upload there files to a storage area that could end up being quite large. Again, forums can cope with this, but it will depend on the forum software, the moderators and the servers storing the data.

I personally prefer forums to mailing lists as thread are easier to decipher, there is always a record available online and your email doesn't need to be clogged with posts that do not get edited, yet you can still subscribe to relevant topics of forums as you see fit. However, of course, this is my personal; choice.

Chris