[SCA-Dance] ADMIN: Advice on how to proceed

sca-dance-owner at sca-dance.org sca-dance-owner at sca-dance.org
Tue Feb 7 10:41:45 EST 2012

So, I just received a spam newsletter, but it was sort of on topic.
The message was a company that claimed to make early music instruments.
(so, kinda on topic for sca-dance, since we dance to music)
The post was "a newsletter" and they included an opt out link...
(which should have been an opt-in link if it was sent at all.)

The message bounced for moderation on multiple reasons:
1: sender's email was not from a member
2: an "initial" post not containting [SCA-Dance] in the subject line
   (Hint: assuming you meet all other moderation tests, that
   will get an initial post through without moderation!
   replies automatically have it in the header, unless you delete it.)
3: including attachements/being multipart html

My position on "advertising" is that it should only be done by active
participants in the list, and more as an "aside" (like as part of their
signature) not as a focus of the message... If it's *very* related to
sca-dance (as "Hey, we've recorded a CD of dance music and are giving a
good deal to members of this list") then maybe it could be the subject
of the message, as long as the posts don't "too spammy" in frequency.
(which, i'll admit, is subjective)

What do people think about that sort of post... If they resend a blurb
in plain text, should i allow it through to the list?

--
flip
  When you see beyond yourself