[Puzzles in language change] next reading: Ch.2-3 of Devitt (1989)

Igor Yanovich iyanovic at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Sep 18 15:09:47 EDT 2015

Dear everyone,

Attached is Devitt (1989) "Standardizing written English. Diffusion in the
case of Scotland 1520-1659".
We will look at Chapters 2 and 3 of the book, mostly using them as rich
sources of data about how language change proceeds on the scale of
centuries, as opposed to decades that we looked at in Tagliamonte &
D'Arcy's paper.

I expect we will start the discussion of Devitt on the week of Sep 28-Oct
2, but will probably finish it only on Oct 7.

In this text, take a look at the definition of the variables, and then at
some graphs. We will mostly discuss those graphs and how they relate to
each other and to what we read earlier.

All the best,
 Igor