[oe-sync] Discussion on Outreach Program

Klas, Guenter, Vodafone Group Guenter.Klas at vodafone.com
Tue Sep 15 03:28:37 EDT 2015

Questions:
1) Where (in which aspects) does the initiative overlap with OPNFV?

2) To which extent  would the initiative create similar items as OPNFV, e.g. test infrastructure for developers, sandbox,
CI environment with tool chain? Indeed, that's expensive.

3) Do we want to create or nurture a 'complete system' or only selected building blocks (to stay deliberately with Satya's analogy of the narrow waist in IP)?

Regarding the relationship to NFV:
I can imagine to run both untrusted apps + trusted VNFs at the same cloud infrastructure at the edge, use the same cloud mgr software and a single orchestration SW....
Thus: relationships to what the NFV community  is doing.

My point: where there is potential overlap, possibly  better to extend at the existing source (as we try to do with OpenStack) though with the risk of dependencies.

4) How would the 'coordination of implementation' happen in practice?
Whose work would the initiative coordinate? How feasible is this?

5) What I think we need:
- A place where open source code as we have it can be created.
- A mechanism to interact with industry sectors that have use cases in the Tactile Internet.
- An engine that coordinates or drives or lobbies for development in any upstream projects.
- A mechanism to conduct PoCs with participants from those industry sectors.
- A mechanism to provide some well scoped tested code platform to PoCs, either by offering platform download or access to labs for PoCs and 3rd parties from different tactile  Internet sectors.

Guenter

"Schuster, Rolf, Vodafone Group" <Rolf.Schuster at vodafone.com> wrote:

Dear all,
Here is a quick summary of the discussion between Yun-Chao and myself regarding the outreach direction.
- We agree in principle that the Open Edge Initiative should target the platform providers (like OpenStack) AS WELL AS the application providers (like augmented reality tech providers). The initiative will coordinate the implementation of the requirements from the application providers by the platform providers and the service providers. This will give it a unique scope and target.
- The initiative will eventually need a paid membership scheme. There should be a small board say of 9 persons, three from the application providers, 3 from the platform / infrastructure providers and 3 from the service providers / operators (see attached picture for details)
- New members have to provide relevant value (not just money) to become a member. We actively reach out to relevant companies – right now without an offer for membership. In case we find companies who are willing to contribute, we will decide on a case by case basis.
- eventually we will need an upstream development toolset. However, they are relatively expensive to set-up
- eventually, we will have to build a sandbox infrastructure for developers to work. Also we will need a “test and compliancy lab”

Any comments or suggestions?

In order to achieve that we will need a simple web-page asap. I think we could put together the content relatively quickly. However, we need a bit of marketing support from people who can create a nice look and feel (including logo).
--> Has anybody access to marketing resources? Temporary availability, remote location and part-time working should all be fine.

What do you think?

Kind regards
Rolf.

[cid:2338055312557040903FEF07356C1EA6 at internal.vodafone.com]

[http://www.vodafone.com/content/dam/global_email_signature/sigroundel.png]<http://www.vodafone.com/>   Rolf Schuster
Head of Partner Innovation Centres
Architecture & Research
Vodafone Group Services GmbH
Mobile: +491722360098
Email: rolf.schuster at vodafone.com

Vodafone Group Services GmbH, Ferdinand-Braun-Platz 1,
D-40549 Düsseldorf Amtsgericht Düsseldorf, HRB 53554
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Joachim Peters, Frank Rosenberger, Achim Weusthoff
vodafone.com <http://www.vodafone.com/>

This message and any files or documents attached are confidential and may also be legally privileged, protected from disclosure and/or protected by other legal rules. It is intended only for the individual or entity named. If you are not the named addressee or you have received this email in error, please inform the sender immediately, delete it from your system and do not copy or disclose it or its contents or use it for any purpose. Thank you. Please also note that transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.