[oe-sync] apps development for edge cloud

Klas, Guenter, Vodafone Group Guenter.Klas at vodafone.com
Sun Aug 9 06:49:07 EDT 2015

Hi Kiryong, Rolf,

Much effort is currently focusing on the edge cloud infrastructure due to many challenges still to solve. On the other hand, I'm also interested in understanding what an apps developer has to consider if a deployment of (parts of) an application on a Cloudlet is feasible.

I assume that the CMU team has some good experience regarding 'application design for Cloudlets' from the demos created in the past.

Questions that come to my mind:

- Is application development exactly the same as when I develop an app for deployment on a mobile device + interaction with the SW in the tier 1 cloud?

- Is application development exactly the same as today for different types of technologies: e.g. Android apps, web applications ...?

If things are not exactly the same and if the apps developer has to "design with deployment on Cloudlets in mind", then I would argue we should run a workshop with the attendance of some selected apps developers to i) explain what needs to be taken into account and ii) to get their feedback.

Once this is done, and once we have some "portable" or "recommendable" reference platform for Cloudlet in place, one could consider a hackathon to explore further with the apps developer community...

Any thoughts about this?

Guenter