netreg-users: dhcpd.conf generation problems

Paul Delys paul at gi.alaska.edu
Tue Feb 27 19:46:50 EST 2007

Hi,

We're happy users of NetReg 1.1.7 here at the Geophysical Institute
where we serve dhcp and dns for about 800 machines. I've set up a
test machine with the 1.1.9 tar.gz distribution in preparation for an
upgrade. I like the history that is kept for registered machines.

After fiddling around with web server and database permissions,
everything works OK with my test system _except_ the dhcpd.conf file
generation. If I convert our 1.1.7 data to 1.1.9, the generated
dhcpd.conf file has empty class and subnet declarations and empty
dynamic and static hosts sections. If I start from scratch with
imported data from the distribution plus a small number of newly
input local zones, subnets, static and dynamic machines, and subnet
pool registrations, the dhcpd.conf file still doesn't properly
generate in exactly the same way.

I've tried both Fedora Core 5 and Slackware 10.2 with MySQL 4.0.27.
The command and output I've been using to generate the file are
pasted below. I must be overlooking something obvious, but poring
over the docs, rechecking the config and looking at source code
haven't turned anything up for me yet. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul Delys
Geophysical Institute
University of Alaska Fairbanks

[netreg at TONKI ~]$ support/bin/service-dump.pl; support/bin/dhcp.pl;
Adding dhcp.example.org
Adding Static-Servers.dns
Adding Dynamic-Servers.dns
Using libdir: /home/netreg/lib
Generating configuration for: ddns-ns.example.org
Generating configuration for: ddns-ns2.example.org

[netreg at TONKI ~]$ cat etc/dhcp-gen/dhcpd.conf.ddns-ns.example.org

server-identifier ddns-ns.example.org;

if (substring (option dhcp-client-identifier, 1, 3) = "RAS") {
       ignore booting;
}

# DHCP Failover Configuration

# OMAPI Configuration

# DNS Zones and Keys

# Option Declarations
option authenticate code 210 = string;
option local-printer-cfg code 144 = string;

# Global Options
ddns-update-style interim;
option ntp-servers 10.128.0.190, 10.128.0.191;
option domain-name "example.org";
ignore client-updates;
default-lease-time 86400;
option netbios-node-type 2;
get-lease-hostnames on;
option local-printer-cfg code 144 = text;
next-server 10.128.0.187;
option netbios-name-servers 10.128.0.198;
authoritative ;
max-lease-time 86400;

# Class Declarations

# Subnet Declarations

# Dynamic Hosts

# Static Hosts

[netreg at TONKI ~]$ ls -l etc/dhcp-gen/
total 16
-rw-rw-r-- 1 netreg netreg 776 Feb 27 15:24 dhcpd.conf.ddns-
ns2.example.org
-rw-rw-r-- 1 netreg netreg 775 Feb 27 15:24 dhcpd.conf.ddns-
ns.example.org