netreg-users: Problems with initial install: Database Error

David Nolan vitroth at cmu.edu
Tue Feb 27 16:51:33 EST 2007

On 2/27/07, Michael Robbert <mrobbert at mines.edu> wrote:
> I just downloaded NetReg 1.1.9 and attempted an install today. I am installing
> on a fairly clean Debian Sarge system.
> I have gotten the front page to load and when I click on the Enter button Apache
> prompts for authentication, when that passes I get a page saying Database Error:
> There was an error while connecting to the netreg database. The administrator
> has been informed. Please try again later.
>
> The database has been created and I can login to it from the command line as the
> root user. There is a log directory in ~netreg, but it is empty. I have setup
> myself as the administrator and I was not informed of the error as the message
> says. Does  anybody know off the top of their head what may have gone wrong
> during the initial setup? Failing that, what can I do to find out what is wrong
> with the database?

Mike,

First, welcome to the netreg list.  Feel free to share a little bit
about your site and what you're looking for in netreg, and we'll be
happy to help you determine if its the right system for you.

You didn't mention what version of mysql you're using.  There were
some issues with mysql 4.1 and 5.0 that required code changes in
netreg, and if I recall correctly the latest released version of
netreg (1.1.9) doesn't have those changes yet.  The current code in
CVS works with 4.1, and with another minor change that was discussed
on the list recently will work with 5.0.  I just haven't gotten a
releasable distribution put together.

Check the apache error log for a more detailed error message.  And
theoretically an email should have been sent to the email address
configured in the config file, though I suspect that not all the code
paths actually do that.

-David