[944] Measurability of a RV

David Itkin ditkin at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Nov 5 08:12:34 EST 2017

Hi Richard,

The converse of what you said is true -- that is if [image: \mathcal{F}
\subset \mathcal{G}]  and [image: X] is [image: \mathcal{F}]-measurable
then [image: X] is also [image: \mathcal{G}]-measurable. On the other hand
if [image: X] is [image: \mathcal{G}]-measurable then we cannot conclude
anything about it being [image: \mathcal{F}]-measurable since it is
possible that [image: X^{-1}(-\infty,a) \in \mathcal{G}\setminus\matcal{F}] and
so would not be [image: \mathcal{F}]-measurable. The intuition behind this
is that [image: \mathcal{F}] gives us less information than [image:
\mathcal{G}] and so we may not be able to deduce as much from it -- we saw
an example of this in recitation 1 with a two period binomial tree model
where the return of our stock at time 2 was [image: G_2] measurable, but
not [image: G_1] measurable.

I think the easiest way to remember is to have this trivial example in the
back of your mind: take [image: \mathcal{G}] = [image:
\mathcal{P}(\Omega)] (i.e.
the power set) and [image: \mathcal{F} = \{\emptyset, \Omega\}](trivial [image:
\sigma]-algebra). Then all [image: X: \Omega \rightarrow \mathbb{R}]
are [image:
\mathcal{G}]-measurable, but only constant random variables will be [image:
\mathcal{F}]-measurable.

Hope this helps,

David