About upgrade and building without caldav/carddav server

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Tue Jun 27 20:36:53 EDT 2017

Egoitz,
Some important notes on this upgrade.  Firstly, I have followed this
path for a client, and it does work.  Secondly, you should read not just
the Upgrade document to which Nicola has linked (below) but also read
the release notes for all intermediary versions.

You can find those here:
     https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/download/release-notes/index.html

It's always best practice to read intermediary release notes, as changes
made in one version (i.e. 2.4.0) may not be mentioned in a later
version's release notes.

For example, the release notes for 2.4.0 contain this note:

  * All databases are now default skiplist, and ctl_cyrusdb will
    automatically convert database type on startup.

That's a really good thing, but if you previously set your database
types to something other than the default, then they will not be
converted (maybe you didn't do so, but your packages may have).  As the
Upgrade document notes, in that case you should convert your DB formats
to a default /before/ you copy them to the new server, using cvt_cyrusdb
(for example):

    cvt_cyrusdb /<confdir>/mailboxes.db berkeley /tmp/new-mailboxes.db skiplist

Another big note is that with 3.0.X, the Squat full-text indexing engine
may be replaced with Xapian.  Check your packaging or build for that.
If it is, you'll need to rebuild your indexes before people can use them.

Similarly, the main Cyrus index scheme has changed between 2.3 and 2.4,
and then again with 2.5 and 3.0.  You can upgrade from 2.3 to 3.0, and
it does so very nicely, but while a 3.0 server can read the older index
formats, you won't get the best behavior or performance.  Run the
command 'reconstruct -V max' either just like that (upgrade all
mailbox's indices) or within a script which walks through your user list.

Lastly, please get yourself logged in to #cyrus on IRC so you can get
support while you're working.  Try a dry run with just a couple of users
or mailboxes, to see what you might face, and don't be afraid to ask for
help.  I've been working with Cyrus for twenty years, and I still ask
for help all the time (just ask the folks on this list!). :-)

Cheers,
     -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight Inc.                              www.onlight.com
6525 W Bluemound Rd., Ste 24	          v. 414.272.4477
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53213-4073	  f. 414.290.0335