Convert from basic to virtual

Marc Patermann hans.moser at ofd-z.niedersachsen.de
Wed Oct 17 09:48:40 EDT 2012

Dominique,

Dominique schrieb (15.10.2012 13:06 Uhr):
> Hi list(s),
people tend to love cross posting anyway.

> A few years ago we setup a simple postfix+Cyrus Mail server in the
> office (running on Ubuntu server). Across the years, we configured it to
> send and access our mails from various sources (in the office with tb,
> on the road though webgui, and recently through smartphones). All is
> well in the best of worlds. It is really basic configuration with its
> own certificate with a single domain name.
>
> Recently, we purchased two new domain names for a new project and wanted
> to include them to our mail server. I went on reading the postfix doc
> for virtual domains and got lost. Our mail users are independant from
> the linux users (virtual users) and I found a configuration description
> that looked like what I wanted. It seems the way to go, especially if we
> want to continue to add more domains in the future. However, I am not
> sure how to convert from our basic setup to a virtual domain setup,
> especially since I cannot find where and how to configure certificates
> per domain on a server with a single public IP.
>
> Does anyone have experience in converting from one to the other, and
> willing to give me pointers in my conversion process. Downtime is not a
> problem, but not losing the mailboxes is.
>
> I am cross posting on both Postfix and Cyrus list, since I am not sure
> where to get the answer from.
>
> My current configuration is as follow:
>
> Postconf -n
to set up postfix for virtual users is one thing and off topic here.
You do not need to use virtual users in cyrus as well. This is totally
independent. If your IMAP user names have their own naming schema and
that is independent from your SMTP mail addresses, which is totally OK,
you can stick with that.

Mapping between virtual SMTP mail addresses and IMAP users does postfix
for you.

Marc