choosing a file system

LALOT Dominique dom.lalot at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 13:23:01 EST 2008

John,

No, that was due to framentation. A fresh copy (one night to copy, then 2
hours to backup, 6 times faster then) solved that problem.
There's a filefrag utility, and for some mailboxes, it was over 60%. I have
3 500Mo spools at the moment. And one is left for the copy..

You copy first your data, then you destroy randomly small files and you fill
the holes randomly..
Ext4 is said to do delayed allocation, in order to have a decent idea of the
file size when writing to disk

Dom

2008/12/30 John Madden <jmadden at ivytech.edu>

> > Once, there was a bad shutdown corrupting ext3fs and we spent 6 hours on
> an
> > fsck.
> > Next we discovered that our backup system was going slower and slower. We
> > just pointed out that it was due to fragmentation, and guess what,
> there's
> > no online defrag tool for ext3.
>
> Sure it isn't due to the number of files on those filesystems?  File-level
> backups will slow down linearly as the filesystems grow, of course.
> I "solve" this by adding more spools (up to 8 at the moment with about 350k
> mailboxes) so they can be backed up in parallel.  All on ext3.
>
> John
>

> --
> John Madden
> Sr. UNIX Systems Engineer