choosing a file system

John Madden jmadden at ivytech.edu
Tue Dec 30 12:19:58 EST 2008

> Once, there was a bad shutdown corrupting ext3fs and we spent 6 hours on an
> fsck.
> Next we discovered that our backup system was going slower and slower. We
> just pointed out that it was due to fragmentation, and guess what, there's
> no online defrag tool for ext3.

Sure it isn't due to the number of files on those filesystems?  File-level
backups will slow down linearly as the filesystems grow, of course.
I "solve" this by adding more spools (up to 8 at the moment with about 350k
mailboxes) so they can be backed up in parallel.  All on ext3.

John

--
John Madden
Sr. UNIX Systems Engineer