autocreatequote in cyrus on gentoo doesn't seem to work.

Joseph Silverman yossie at laszlosystems.com
Fri Nov 2 15:01:51 EDT 2007

I've been using the Mandriva (2006) version of cyrus imap (binary rpm
added by the urpmi command) for a few years.  We have depended on the
autocreatequota value in /etc/imapd.conf  to (a) allow us to create
an INBOX when the account has been authenticated (in our case through
a sql database) and (b) set a quota for that account.

I have recently switched to a gentoo source distro, installed cyrus-
imapd with emerge.  With default use flags etc.. I get a version that
runs similarly in every way except that autocreatequota doesn't
actually seem to work.  No initial quota is set for a user created
INBOX.  Further, trying to create a sieve for a user, on first
connect, before creating an INBOX seems to fail with an auth error.

In both cases I am using cyrus-imapd-2.2.12 - so it's not a version
issue, perse.  I think it must be a compile time configure issue, but
can't find any clues.

So, I am asking the community for help.  Any ideas?

Thanks - Yossie