Virtual domains + aliases + cyrus

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at xl.wp.pl
Fri Jun 2 11:53:14 EDT 2006

Sarah Walters <sarah.walters at uq.edu.au> writes:

> All,
>
> I am attempting to configure a mail server to be able to check aliases
> and deliver to Cyrus IMAPd while preserving the domain data. Our MTA at
> the moment is sendmail, but if another MTA can do this better I can look
> at alternatives.
>
> My current understanding is as follows:
>
> 1. To maintain the virtual domain detail you need to use the
>    mailertable.

Mailertable is the most common recomendation but it is not the only way.
[ Let's limit our discussion to mailertable based solutions ]

> 2. Sendmail only checks the aliases file for local delivery, which it
>    does not consider mailertable to be.

Sendmail can check aliases for any mailer with F=A flag set.
The flag is set by default only for local mailer.

You can set the flag for another mailer using line as below in your *.mc
file:
MODIFY_MAILER_FLAGS(`CYRUSV2', `+A')

> We are currently using 2.2.12 (v2.2.12-Invoca-RPM-2.2.12-3.RHEL4.1 to be
> precise). At this time there are no virtual domains, and we do the
> aliases on a separate box before making an LMTP connection to the cyrus
> host. We now want to consolidate the mail service onto the one box
> rather than have SMTP on one and Cyrus on another.
>
> Can I do the above, and can anyone please tell me exactly how?
>
> I would also like to make better use of LDAP, as there is a project to
> store all account information in LDAP for these users and it would be
> preferable to use it directly rather than having to do a dump of the
> data.

It is "techically possible" to make sendmail check cyrus mailox and
alias existence *before* sending reply to "RCPT TO:".

The solution below (so far) checks only for cyrus mailbox existence:
http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/rtcyrus2.html

--
[pl2en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at priv.onet.pl : anfi at xl.wp.pl
http://anfi.homeunix.net/            http://www.linkedin.com/in/andfil