outlook 2003 crashing

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Nov 17 07:43:50 EST 2005

info-cyrus at utdallas.edu wrote:
> -- Ken Murchison said the following on 11/16/05 7:23 PM:
>>
>> Disable IDLE altogether in Cyrus.  Outlook doesn't play well with
>> others, except for Exchange.
>>

> Isn't MS the one that put forth this IDLE business anyway? And so here
> they don't even interact well with it?

The spec was written by a guy at IBM (Barry Leiba).  I don't know if MS
was using it before then.  From what I've seen, Outlook uses IDLE almost
non-stop and doesn't end it before the server inactivity timeout closes
the connection.  Any IDLE client should/must end the IDLE (and probably
restart it) after no more than 29 minutes, to avoid the minimum 30
minute server timeout.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer