Problems with sieveshell

James Davis jamesd at jml.net
Mon Nov 14 08:13:44 EST 2005

Having a few problems here, I hope this is the correct mailing list.
Please feel free to have a laugh at me if it's not (and point me in the
correct direction) :-)

I'm a new Cyrus administrator, very new. This is my first install and
I've picked Cyrus as it should be fairly easy to integrate it with GOsa
which I hope to use to manage accounts.

I'm installing on Debian, using the Debian supplied packages. I followed
the instructions supplied with README.Debian.simpleinstall.gz. I've
created an admin user, cyrus with which I'm able to login using both
cyradm and imtest. So far so good.

I entered the details into my GOsa configuration put it complains with
an error:

Can't log into SIEVE server. Server says ".

I figure that there's a problem with my configuration of sieve
somewhere. I attempt to use sieveshell using the cyrus user that
successfully works as described above.

cressida:/var/lib/cyrus# sieveshell -u cyrus localhost

It prompts me for my password but despite having entered it several
times I can't log in. The following appears in my logs.

/var/log/syslog:Nov 13 22:29:55 cressida cyrus/timsieved[25646]:
badlogin: localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1] DIGEST-MD5 authentication failure
/var/log/syslog:Nov 13 22:29:56 cressida cyrus/timsieved[25646]:
badlogin: localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1] NTLM authentication failure
/var/log/syslog:Nov 13 22:29:58 cressida cyrus/timsieved[25646]:
badlogin: localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1] LOGIN authentication failure
/var/log/syslog:Nov 13 22:30:00 cressida cyrus/timsieved[25646]:
badlogin: localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1] PLAIN authentication failure
/var/log/syslog:Nov 13 22:30:02 cressida cyrus/timsieved[25646]:
badlogin: localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1] CRAM-MD5 authentication failure

When I telnet to the sieve service I get the following text if it's of
any use.

cressida:/usr/share/doc# telnet localhost sieve
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.
"IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.1.18-IPv6-Debian-2.1.18-1"
"SASL" "NTLM LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5"
"SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress
relational regex"
OK

Any ideas what I can do to fix this problem? I'm *not* looking for help
with GOsa specifically but there seems to be a problem with sieve and if
I can that fixed perhaps I can get to the bottom of the problems I have
with GOsa :-)

Regards,

James

--