alice-teacher A whole heap of stuff

Tom Smith remarkability at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 04:16:44 EDT 2022

Hello,

I have only been using Alice a few days and I'm very impressed indeed.
Amazing work!
Here comes the but... :-)

I put this on Github as a bug. The "Run" window gets *lost* behind the main
window if you click a code block... and you can't edit anything. The panel
where the run area was could maybe have a button that says "Stop" that
closes the Run window or the Run window could be modal. On a mac btw. This
gets me all the time, and I know this will confuse students.

Re distribution. I managed to copy my creation to the streaming media
folder of the Player - which kinda works but is a bit, er, un-slick. It
didn't list the files available (as per documentation) but I could open and
run my exported project file. Alice needs a simple way to share creations.
Surely Alice should be able to generate an .apk .app .exe. e.g like
Processing <https://processing.org/> does perhaps?

I was surprised not to find  "power pack macros"... by which I mean, a
single library item that was WASD (and arrow key, and mouse drag/look
controls" that I drag into my project - they expand, and I can then tweak
this code. It seems a hell of a chore to do each control by hand... but
it'd be nice to tweak them by hand (if need be). Another "power pack" would
be "Random wanderer" where a character walks about... randomly. Do you get
what I mean?

Also I was surprised that I couldn't choose a theme like "Amazon" and have
my project populated with trees and snakes and the right sort of trees
etc... a bit like A-Frame has the environment add-on.

My daughter created a model in Tinkercad, imported it into Blender and
exported a .dae but it errors saying a texture is missing. I did manage to
get Blender to make a texture ... but Alice doesn't seem to find it (I
added it to the project too). Is there a way for this lack of texture (or
simple models to be imported) to be ignored...

Incidentally I scanned some sculptures in Polycam .gltf -> Blender -> .dae
and they imported beautifully...

Once again, brilliant work...

Tom

p.s The Email list site is hopeless.. I can't search it, it's barely
browsable, can't you use almost anything else? It's not 1999 :-)