alice-teacher Alice Team Needs Help - Have You Seen The Alice Say and Think Bug

Eric Brown ewbrown at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 21 13:03:24 EDT 2021

Dear All,

I hope this email finds everyone doing well.  I am writing because our latest windows release had some structural changes underlying that seem to have started reporting a new and unique bug.  We have only gotten information for it from our automated reporting system in Alice and are looking for contacts for anyone that is seeng it to help us figure out what s going on and validate our fix.  What we are seeing:

It is happening on worlds that use say and think.  It expresses itself when the play window is run and the error appears when the say or think bubble goes to disappear.  It then prompts an error window that does allow people to share it with us that has error info that starts with the following content:

com.jogamp.opengl.GLException: Method "glDeleteBuffers" not available
at jogamp.opengl.gl4.GL4bcImpl.glDeleteBuffers(GL4bcImpl.java:10228)

Alice will continue to run but the play window will be in a bad state and other things will happen.

The only way we have been able to reproduce this has been to run a windows machine in safe mode forcing the machine to fall back to default graphics drivers.  We are fairly certain this is not common practice for people so we are trying to figure out what may be happening out there in terms of a computer configuration that would be causing this same state.  If you or any of your students have experienced this bug on a windows machine with a world using say/think we would love to hear from you.  We have a fix that we believe addresses this.   We would love to test further with anyone who has been experiencing this before releasing it.  We apologize to anyone who has been running into this bug and are working hard to fix it and roll out that fix.

Sincerely,

Eric