alice-teacher Crashing on "older" apple computers.

Susan Rivas susanmrivas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 12:18:09 EDT 2021

Hi Jeremy,
Sorry that I can not recommend a fix for the problems, but I understand
your dilemma.
When I taught Alice 3.0 in 2018 in a Computer Lab of Mac Mini's I would
warn the students ahead of time, not to add too many objects
to their scenes. If their project crashed or did not open, their back-up
was inconsistent, mostly not working, but sometimes it did!
Maybe programmers can create a fix since Memory was definitely an issue.

Good-luck!
Take care,
Susan Rivas in Santa Cruz, CA

On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 4:53 AM Jeremy Woodward via alice-teachers <
alice-teachers at lists.andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Hi Alice 3D instructors,
>
> Does anyone here use Apple computers with Alice? I’ve seen crashes happen
> when certain objects are added - especially when “too many” items are in a
> scene.
>
> I can’t quite pen down why it happens.  I know a student with a 2010
> MacBook Air had to limit the scene to about 3 items otherwise a 4th one
> would get the “Queen of Hearts Exception”. A student with a 2015 iMac would
> crash if any bi-pedal object was added.
>
> My guess is that there is a specific memory limit esp on Apple computers
> for Alice. The only requirement on Alice’s page is a 1GB ram video card.  A
> 2010 MacBook Air only had 256MB of Video memory, so maybe that’s why?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jeremy

Susan Rivas[image: ]
Educational Technology Consultant