alice-teacher Alice on a Raspberry Pi

Eric Brown ewbrown at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 12 15:10:08 EST 2021

Dear All,

We are excited to announce that we have created an Alice build that we have validated will work on a Raspberry Pi.  We hope that by supporting this platform we can increase accessibility to Alice around the world.  This is our first build and we are eager to have people help us test it to see how it performs, start to figure out our minimum specs, and help find any bugs.  We have run it successfully on a Raspberry Pi 3B and 4B.  If you have a Raspberry Pi and are willing to give it a try you can find the build with some other instructions here:

https://github.com/TheAliceProject/alice3/releases/tag/3.6.0.2-beta.1

Thank you all again for the amazing conversation around Alice and intro computer science this week as well as sharing the awesome VR materials (I love Joust!).  Here is Bill’s link again quickly edited to remove some info that made it fail :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuVec27kCmk

It also makes me sad that a listed disadvantage in Bill’s video is no turn-key Alice curriculum with included day by day lesson plans.  We do really want to have this available for teachers and are continuing to work towards this goal.  If you have any that you are using that you would like to or are willing to share out please contact me directly and we can work through the best way to post them on our resources curriculum page (we would be super excited if you have any that make use of our newer lesson materials).

Have a wonderful weekend.

Sincerely,

Eric