alice-teacher Help! Alice being replaced by Python in my intro classes

Garth Flint gflint at mcsmt.org
Wed Mar 10 11:30:52 EST 2021

Grade level?  For 11-12 I would have to go with Python if the kids are
going on to college but by then the kids should have had at least a low
level programming course.  Grades 7-10 is where an intro course with Alice,
Scratch, Small Basic, etc should live.  Diving into Python with no previous
programming is possible, I have a student doing it right now, but it is not
for the faint of heart.  Python is also a bit low on the fun factor while
Alice is high on the fun factor.  Alice will attract more students and fill
classes better than a Python course.  If the kids are going to take only
one programming course then Alice is better.  They will come away
understanding the concept behind programming and CS and they will also have
a better attitude towards the science.  Python is college prep for those
going into sciences, math and CS.

Garth Flint
Technology Coordinator
Missoula Catholic Schools