alice-teacher Help! Alice being replaced by Python in my intro classes

Leonel Morales litomd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 10:46:06 EST 2021

Hi,

I think arguments could vary according to whom you are going to be
teaching to (primary school, middle, high, college, independent
learners, youngsters, elders or others). My favorite argument is this:

Alice provides a learning context in which programming is coupled with
computer animation and hence, provides an attractive production
environment with a subject most students are familiar with: animation.

Nowadays, students see animations everywhere: in movies, web pages,
apps, advertisements, social media, video games. They may want to
create animations even if it is only to post in Facebook.

Then, if you are going to teach programming (or computational
thinking) to students in an introductory course, it is better to use a
language that resonates with what they are used to see.

Also, when the burden of syntax is removed, as in Alice, students can
concentrate in algorithms, strategy, exploring, understanding and
creating rather than choosing the right command or finding the best
library to import.

Best of luck with your case!

Leonel

P.S.: If they ever need to learn Python there are thousands of
resources everywhere for it.