alice-teacher CMU Qatar Code in Alice Summer Event

Wendy Fennell wendy.lint at glsd.us
Fri Jun 11 20:17:54 EDT 2021

I would be interested in learning more about this.  I have taught Alice 2.5
as an introductory course at my high school and also used it in summer
camps. I have been part of your training professional development also. I
am familiar with Alice 3 but have not taught with that version before.

I currently use the CS1 Academy and am a certified trainer and educator and
was part of their pilot program for CS1 and CS2.

Let me know what I need to do next.

Wendy Lint

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021, 8:01 PM Eric Brown <ewbrown at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I wanted to share an upcoming event being put on by our CMU Qatar campus
> called “Code in Alice”.  I thought many of you might have students or
> members of your community that might want to jump in and help out as a
> volunteer or communities that might want to participate.  (this is intended
> to be a very introductory experience with Alice.  Here is the more
> marketing like language:
>
> Looking for something fun and rewarding to do this summer?  Join the Code
> in Alice event!  The goal of the "Code in Alice" summer event is to teach
> computer programming to kids around the world within an engaging and
> creative environment.  The programming will be held entirely online so
> participants (aged 13-18) and volunteer educators (no prior Alice or
> teaching experience needed) anywhere in the world are invited to
> participate!
>
> Looking for a great chance to support and inspire the next generation of
> creative technology leaders?  This event is made possible by volunteers
> like you and we need your help to be able to engage as many students as
> possible (with a small teacher-student ratio).  We are looking for
> volunteers to commit to 3 – 4 hours/week for 5 weeks (July 5 – Aug 5)!  The
> event is online and each volunteer will be assigned 10-12 students for the
> duration. The volunteers do not need any prior experience in Alice or
> teaching computer science. Training on Alice and all the skills you need to
> successfully support the students will be provided before and during the
> event.  The deadline to apply is June 15 so it is rapidly approaching.
>
> We hope that you will join us as a student or volunteer educator.  Please
> help us spread the word!
>
> Learn more here! (bit.ly/codeinalice2021)
>
> Code in Alice is a summer program being run by Carnegie Mellon University
> Qatar.
>
> To help us promote and recruit volunteers and participants here are links
> to promotional flyers you can use to spread the word!
>
> Flyer for volunteers teachers -
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u6NE5HMCS31xHEfsquy9pGEX7X1XWRTG/view?usp=sharing
>
> Flyer for participants -
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u6NE5HMCS31xHEfsquy9pGEX7X1XWRTG/view?usp=sharing
>
> We have also added a blog post on our site to help them spread the word
> you can share here:
> https://www.alice.org/join-the-code-in-alice-worldwide-event/
>
> Or share our tweet:
> https://twitter.com/AliceProjectCMU/status/1403497977008721921?s=20
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Eric

Pursuant to School Board policy and administrative procedures, this
e-mail system is the property of the Greater Latrobe School District and is
to be used for official business only. In addition, all users are cautioned
that messages sent through this system are subject to the Public Records
Law of the State of Pennsylvania and also to review by the Greater Latrobe
School District. There should be no expectation of privacy.

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this electronic
message is PRIVILEGED and confidential information intended only for the
use of the individual entity or entities named as recipient or recipients.
If the reader is not the intended recipient, be hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copy of this communication is strictly
me immediately by electronic mail or by telephone and permanently delete
this message from your computer system. Unless otherwise stated, opinions
expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and are not endorsed by
the Greater Latrobe School District.