alice-teacher s post from wbarnum at elmhurst205.org requires approval

Barnum, William wbarnum at elmhurst205.org
Wed Feb 17 12:25:15 EST 2021

Hey Eric,

Thanks so much for looking into this.

It looks like the IL SOPPA law is not quite as clear-cut as I was lead to
believe, but my district is leery due to Facebook's general privacy
practices. Despite this, I'm working hard to convince them that we need to
find some solution that doesn't involve throwing away all our district's
Oculus hardware.

My understanding is that the Oculus only accounts aren't explicitly
compliant but would probably slip by in many schools because the IL SOPPA
law isn't really written to apply to non-educational products and
companies. That being said, it is much easier to get a school or district
to sign on to a product if it is affirmatively compliant with typical
educational privacy policies.

Bill