alice-teacher SOPPA restrictions, java and security

Heidi Kunselman hkunselman at d92.org
Tue Aug 31 13:03:00 EDT 2021

Donald and Eric
I have been using Alice for 10 years and have built 2 middle school
curriculums  around alice 2 and 3. I teach at a Chicago suburban school but
I am originally from PA and a true Steeler and CMU fan. (If you remember
Don, I took the training course in the summer a few years back.) I love
this program, along with the challenges and learning benefits it gives to
my students.   I was wondering about the security risks using Java as the
backbone of this program. They are tightening up the types of software and
apps we can use because of SOPPA. I do not have a lot of knowledge in
regards to networks and security risks.  Can The Alice program be run
without a high security risk? Any explanation would be appreciated so I can
validate the use to my new district tech administrator and continue to keep
students engaged in programming with Alice.

Any Help would be appreciated
Heidi Kunselman

Heidi Kunselman
Technology Teacher
First Tech Robotics Mentor
Oak Prairie J.H.
Will County School District 92
815-836-2724 ext. 3248

*"If you can dream it, you can do it !"*  ~Walt Disney