alice-teacher Alice At Home

Denise S d.stanley at amsacs.org
Wed Mar 25 15:12:54 EDT 2020

Hello,
I am a sixth grade Computer Science teacher. I was just starting my Alice
unit with the students when the virus hit.
Unfortunately a lot of my students use a chromebook at home.
Is there anyway for them to access Alice at home?
Sincerely,
Denise

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 3:01 PM Jan Bekkevold <
jbekkevold at ransomeverglades.org> wrote:

> Good Afternoon Eric,
> Thank you so much for your email and initiative to help educators work
> with Alice virtually. I am definitely interested.My students are on spring
> break now and we will be starting Alice and continue for the remainder of
> the year next week. The only thing I have is some of the materials from the
> Duke coursera course with Susan Rodgers. I was on the pilot program this
> summer testing out the course.
>
> As I figure out how I plan to teach this topic and develop my lesson
> plans, I will be more than happy to share my ideas.
> Thank you again,
> Jan
>
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 12:40 PM Eric Brown <ewbrown at andrew.cmu.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> First and foremost I hope you and your communities are all are staying
>> safe.  With the large efforts being done by educators to migrate teaching
>> to virtual classrooms we wanted to see what we could do to help.  A couple
>> quick things that we hope you all could do to help us and each other:
>>
>> 1.  If you are using Alice and migrated to a virtual classroom if you
>> could share any approaches, tips, tricks, resources, or stories with the
>> community that would be great!  Just reply here to share or feel free to
>> send our way direct and we can share it out.
>>
>> 2.  We are thinking about starting weekly Alice Q and A’s or workshops
>> for educators or even students on Alice. If you think this would be of
>> interest to you please let us know so we can gauge interest and need.  We
>> are hosting a short basics of Alice via our local intermediary unity
>> tomorrow that any are welcome to join (these are definitely targeted at
>> educators):  https://www.aiu3.net/Page/4914 and we will continue to keep
>> our eyes out for other hosting online events for Alice to share with you
>> all and definitely don’t be shy about sharing opportunities with this list.
>>
>> 3.  If you or your students are continuing to work with Alice please
>> share their work with us so we can connect everyone.  You can send to us
>> directly or through our facebook or twitter (#programWithAlice).  We would
>> very much be interested to hear if anyone is using Alice to challenge
>> students to make worlds about social distancing or other social impact
>> narratives.
>>
>> 4.  We have had many inquiries about Alice and chrome books now that many
>> students are limited to the home and their one to one chrome books.
>> Unfortunately as many of you know Alice is a desktop Java application so
>> this is not supported.  We  understand that this limits us for many but
>> hope that it also helps those communities where internet connectivity may
>> be a challenges we can we can fill another need.
>>
>> The Alice Team is here to help you, your parents, and your students.
>> Don’t hesitate to reach out to us and this community with questions or
>> ideas for how we can better serve you all.

> [...]

*Denise Stanley*

*Grade 6 Computer Science Teacher*

Advanced Math & Science Academy Charter School
201 Forest St., Marlborough, MA 01752
(508) 597-2400
d.stanley at amsacs.org

* <http://www.amsacs.org/>*