alice-teacher Alice At Home

Jan Bekkevold jbekkevold at ransomeverglades.org
Wed Mar 25 13:51:51 EDT 2020

Good Afternoon Eric,
Thank you so much for your email and initiative to help educators work with
Alice virtually. I am definitely interested.My students are on spring break
now and we will be starting Alice and continue for the remainder of the
year next week. The only thing I have is some of the materials from the
Duke coursera course with Susan Rodgers. I was on the pilot program this
summer testing out the course.

As I figure out how I plan to teach this topic and develop my lesson plans,
I will be more than happy to share my ideas.
Thank you again,
Jan

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 12:40 PM Eric Brown <ewbrown at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> First and foremost I hope you and your communities are all are staying
> safe.  With the large efforts being done by educators to migrate teaching
> to virtual classrooms we wanted to see what we could do to help.  A couple
> quick things that we hope you all could do to help us and each other:
>
> 1.  If you are using Alice and migrated to a virtual classroom if you
> could share any approaches, tips, tricks, resources, or stories with the
> community that would be great!  Just reply here to share or feel free to
> send our way direct and we can share it out.
>
> 2.  We are thinking about starting weekly Alice Q and A’s or workshops for
> educators or even students on Alice. If you think this would be of interest
> to you please let us know so we can gauge interest and need.  We are
> hosting a short basics of Alice via our local intermediary unity tomorrow
> that any are welcome to join (these are definitely targeted at educators):
> https://www.aiu3.net/Page/4914 and we will continue to keep our eyes out
> for other hosting online events for Alice to share with you all and
> definitely don’t be shy about sharing opportunities with this list.
>
> 3.  If you or your students are continuing to work with Alice please share
> their work with us so we can connect everyone.  You can send to us directly
> or through our facebook or twitter (#programWithAlice).  We would very much
> be interested to hear if anyone is using Alice to challenge students to
> make worlds about social distancing or other social impact narratives.
>
> 4.  We have had many inquiries about Alice and chrome books now that many
> students are limited to the home and their one to one chrome books.
> Unfortunately as many of you know Alice is a desktop Java application so
> this is not supported.  We  understand that this limits us for many but
> hope that it also helps those communities where internet connectivity may
> be a challenges we can we can fill another need.
>
> The Alice Team is here to help you, your parents, and your students.
> Don’t hesitate to reach out to us and this community with questions or
> ideas for how we can better serve you all.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Eric

Jan Bekkevold

Computer Science and Mathematics Faculty

Ransom Everglades School

2045 South Bayshore Drive

Coconut Grove, FL 33133-3299

T: 305 250 6853